Where to spend the dollars?

So here's the dilemma. I found these shoes yesterday.

And I adore them. Like I said on Facebook yesterday, I'm not one to fawn over shoes, but these, they're calling my name. They have a heel, but not too high of a heel, they are feminine and cute, and would look so right with the style I want to have. The style I dream about in my head. A style that I have yet to start curating.


And then the battle begins. $114. $114 could buy that scanner I've been eyeing (I want to replace my p.o.s. all-in-one with a real scanner and separate laser printer), it could buy lots of yummy food (like a week's worth of groceries for two), it could pay for a hotel room for a night when my parents come to visit and we go to Crater Lake (fingers crossed, no tickets yet, but I would love it in September!),

Next battle area: are they practical? I'm a relatively practical person. Which is why I own three pairs of Danskos and three pairs of tennis shoes. Riding bicycles and standing on concrete all day has informed my shoe purchasing over the last two and a half years. But like I said to Mayzie on one of my last days at the Paper Zone, "I can't wait to post that I no longer have to take 'comfort while standing on concrete for 8 hours' into consideration for my shoes anymore!"

random thought: I would need to buy some stick-on grippy doodles for the bottoms as the footpad is a very slick leather.

More pictures of the style I like:


Yesterday at the store, Ian suggested I sleep on it. This morning I was hanging out in his office and he said "So have you decided about the shoes?" or something, and I said "I'm still thinking about it" and he chuckled and said "That sounded more like 'thinking=obsessing' opposed to 'thinking= contemplating.'" And he was right, as evidenced by the fact that I'm sitting here typing this.

And if I want to get them from the store in town, I have to decide kind of quick because it is a small shop and I have an average sized foot, and they sell out of their limited stock pretty fast. sigh. I have only found them one place online, and it was more expensive than at Imelda's.

It's funny how exactly on-the-fence I am about this. If I so chose, I could easily sway the argument either way. For instance, if I really wanted to buy the shoes and needed to convince myself:

  • Style has to start somewhere, and a great pair of shoes is a great first pick.
  • $114 is reasonable for a pair of shoes that will last you years.
  • Your mom and david did give you birthday money in advance!
  • You said you would rather spend money on quality clothes than on more toss away clothes.
  • You want to attend a glamorous party (goal 57) and for that you will need glamorous shoes.
  • All those episodes of What Not to Wear, you know the value of feeling great in what you're wearing. ( The transformations are amazing, even for people who believe what's most important is on the inside, the difference well designed, well-fitting clothes makes is astounding.)


If I needed to convince myself that they are a bad buy:

  • That $114 could be spent so many other places. 
  • You just bought all those craft supplies.
  • They really aren't practical, think of how fast you'll wear down that skimpy front pad!
  • You only have one outfit they might go with!
  • You still need to pay for the second half of your spanish class!
  • What if your business fails tomorrow, would you rather have shoes or food?
  • You can't wear them in the rain.
  • If you buy them, you will want to buy clothes to go with them, and that is definitely out of the budget. 

What do you think? I could use some outside opinions on this one. 





2 comments:

  1. Those ARE effing adorable!

    I also get the greedy gimmes when it comes to cute clothes and shoes.
    Modcloth.com makes me crazy.

    my suggestion is the same for myself.
    see what ebay/amazon/thrift stores have to offer for three whole days, if nothing comes up? yeah, go ahead. Even if you end up wearing them around the house, you'll feel like a million bux.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I've decided to let them go for now. My parents have booked their tickets to visit for my birthday! And we plan on going to Crater Lake and eating yummy food, so I'm saving the benjamins for that. Miss you Lindsey.

    ReplyDelete