Not only have I been cooking all sorts of meals, yet even going out has led to adventurous tastings.
We were in Newport at lunch time on our way up the coast back to Portland from Crater Lake. (If you look at a map the coast seems out of the way, but when you're from Michigan, and you get that close to the ocean a couple of hours doesn't seem like so far away anymore) In Newport we drove down the main strip and were all hungry and looking for food and found none. We did see signs to "Historic Bayfront" and decided to turn around and investigate further. Good thing too, as soon as we turned on the street, we saw Mo's and that was it. We were eating there for lunch, goodbye hungry-grumps.
| What we didn't know at the time was there were many Mo's along the coast. We were blinded by hunger, and their award winning clam chowder was in fact delicious. |
Ian couldn't get the oyster shooters because it was red tide (too warm). We split a combination platter and since he liked all four/five options, let me pick our three. I initially thought to go for the cod, calamari and . . . but then I decided I get calamari anywhere so I kept the cod as a back up and we ordered the clam strips and oysters. Everything was deep fried (demerits). Ian has been trying to get me to try more sea food (especially shell fish even though I claim to have a slight allergy to them) and he said that deep fried is usually the best way to introduce a new food (everything tastes okay deep fried right?) but deep fried oysters are his least favorite and I didn't like it one bit!
| I tried some oyster, but only a bite. I'll try another one if it's cooked differently, Ian says we'll steam them. |
| Graciela and David at the historic bayfront in Newport. Our day driving along the coast was true Oregon. Overcast and kind of raining the whole time. |
| Sometimes a picture will help cement the memory in your mind for later. |
I have so many pictures from the trip, which is great because Ian and I are not picture takers. For one thing he says there is no point of just taking a picture of the ______ (waterfall, ocean, cave, this or that) because someone else has already taken the picture and posted it on the internet that you can look at. And their picture is probably better because someone with nice equipment will surely have taken photos of whatever you're looking at. (For an awesome TED talk about some amazing photo sharing environment building interaction stuff click here.) Better to pay attention with your memory and let it all sink in so you can remember it for yourself later.
So, we don't take many pictures. His theory is one reason I've started drawing when we're out with natural wonders. The drawing is mine, it's how I see it, what I see as important and helps make the scene real in my mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment