Bonus Delicious -- Sweet Stir Fry

The first time this meal came together was kind of accidental. Remember the cabbage I used for the asian coleslaw back in June? Well, I only used a little over half of the cabbage and the rest went back into the fridge.

Then, week in, week out, it would be in my produce tupperware. And I would think and say "We have got to do something with that cabbage," concurrently being amazed that it was still fresh.

Finally, last week, right before my parents got here. . . our cupboards were bare. We could make rice. And what would go with the rice? It was a tuesday, and Ian wouldn't be getting home until after 8. I started pondering. Opening the fridge and staring at all the empty space.


"Well," I thought to myself, "looks like we're using that cabbage tonight." (keep in mind, this is September. That cabbage had been hanging out since June and was still perfect.) These photos are actually from the second time I've made this sweet stir fry, yesterday for myself, ian and my parents.

half a red cabbage, four beets and a one apple makes enough sweet stir fry for four hungry adults.

What else did I find in the crisper tupper? Golden beets that I had bought with the best intentions of grating and putting on salads during the week. They were started to look a little sad.

Olive oil, hot chili oil, fish sauce and Gomasio are all the seasoning this dish requires.


Ian had perfect timing and walked in the door just as I'd finished thinly slicing the cabbage. He threw some oils and seasonings into the HOT pan and in went the cabbage!

sizzle sizzle stir to coat all the cabbage with the hot oils in the pan.

Then, after the quick time it takes to grate four beets and  an apple (that was lying on the counter from my afternoon snack), we threw in the sweet stuff and stirred it up.




Mere minutes later, the rice was done and we loaded our bowls with rice and the sweet stir fry. Cut up some nori and crumbled some smoked salmon into our bowls.


A delicious end of the fridge meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment