I started playing the cello in 6th or 7th grade. I remember: my best friend Megan was switching to the cello (as 5th graders we had learned violin) and my academic nemesis was sticking with violin.
Knowing that he would always practice more than me, I decided to switch to the cello with Megan.
This brilliant flame orange cello had been with me since then, through school concerts and solo/ensemble challenges, left behind in closets, and eventually moved across the country via amtrak.
But then it sat in closets again. I played, and wasn't nearly as good as I was in my mind. I always imagine myself as Jacqueline Du Pre. A bit of a disappointment at the reality. Yet there was an emotional attachment to my cello and the dream that one day I would practice, like I should have in school, and become really, really good.
It ended up a small yet constant reminder of failure. "I don't have time," I'd think or, "I have other priorities." A little piece of me would recoil and cower when I saw my cello case, inside it my beautiful instrument unused.
As I'm generally downsizing bit-by-bit (and about 10 other factors, like Ian clearing and selling a BUNCH of his car stuff, and recent success selling a few items on EBay). . . my heart and mind were finally in agreement that it would be okay to sell my cello.
After all, when the magical day comes that I have TIME to commit to it, and it can be a priority, I will also have MONEY to purchase another instrument. So up went the craigslist post and when a response came I connected with a buyer who will love it and use learning the cello to calm her pre-mid-life-crisis crisis.
Letting it go has given me an amount of relief and freedom. Now I can relish the good memories instead of being nagged by a "should" feeling, and tiny pangs of regret over and over again.
Are you carrying around your own regretcello? I'd love to know.
No comments:
Post a Comment