And while my normal penmanship is quite stately, I have always wanted to learn calligraphy. It's so beautiful, changing function into form. My favorite is the flowing scripts with all those flourishes.
I got a book from the library and set about tracing and copying. First the Uncial hand, a good beginner hand very uniform (and all capitol) letterforms. I practiced writing my mom's address on the cards I'd send.
Then I moved on to a Spencerian script pictured below. The first image is one of my earlier attempts when I still had to look at the primer for each letter.

It's been a few weeks and I've written dozens of addresses and about 70 little cards for all my coworkers at my craft store job. Here are two cards I wrote today. I think I'm ready to learn a third calligraphy hand!


I have yet to come across the tulip again, I can't for the life of me remember where I was when I saw it. My green thumb friend keeps naming and describing tulips "It could have been a parrot tulip...was it ruffly?" She's supposed to bring in her tulip catalog so I can flip through it and see if we can narrow it down. It was light pinks, very soft looking and just the absolutely perfect shape!
No comments:
Post a Comment