While I'm still working on no. 10 ( an organizing work book of sorts ), I have finished book 11 (My business course text), am working on book 12 (Self-Employed Tax Solutions) and have forced myself to finish no. 13 (Little Bee).
Book no. 11/52 -- My Business Foundations course text, a binder full of exercises and readings to show you what makes up a business plan. A very excellent resource while I actually write my bizplan.
Book no. 12/52 Self-Employed Tax Solutions -- As recommended by Chariti in my Business Foundations course, this book is a plain-english, demystifying, goodness-filled resource for any small business owner, or individual considering opening their own business. It requires attentive brain effort and therefore did not satisfy my book desire when I found out...
my flight from DTW to DFW was delayed over 2 hours, would cause me to miss my connecting flight to PDX, and I might end up with a comped hotel room in Dallas to leave bright and early Tuesday morning instead.
I needed a book to keep me occupied. Nothing too thinking oriented, just a light hearted story that could pass the time. Unable to remember any of my GoodReads titles that I had marked "to-read" I mosied on down to the bookstore in the airport and browsed their shelves for a title I could then download to the Kindle I was borrowing from Ian.
Long story short, I landed upon Book no. 13/52 Little Bee (which btw I think would have been more honest with it's original title "The Other Hand") the teaser said
"We don't want to tell you WHAT HAPPENS in this book.
It is a truly SPECIAL STORY and we don't want to spoil it.
NEVERTHELESS, you need to know enough to buy it, so we will just say this:
This is the story of two women. Their lives collide one fateful day, and one of them has to make a terrible choice, the kind of choice we hope you never have to face. Two years later, they meet again - the story starts there ...
Once you have read it, you'll want to tell your friends about it. When you do, please don't tell them what happens. The magic is in how the story unfolds"
Sounds light hearted, funny, mysterious, all sorts of adjectives you want while waiting for a delayed flight. Deceptive this teaser is! I must have still been jet-lagged when I chose it! I should have stuck with "Sh!T my Dad Says" whose freebie on the Kindle I quite enjoyed.
But back to Little Bee. There aren't many books I've wanted to stop reading. Normally I have to watch what I pick up because reading clicks on an obsessive switch and once I get near the last 120 pages you'd have to pry the book out of my hands or tell me I'm late for work to get me to stop reading. I started little bee, got bored with it, picked it back up, got on my plane, fell asleep (always on planes. always, sometimes with drool), tried to read it some more. I got home with less than half the book read.
Yet I've got gumption so I finished it the other day. While I'm no professional book critic, I could get quite "art-school final critique" on Little Bee and not feel a bit bad about it. I'll just leave it at: I'm rather disappointed. I feel like my sixth grade self who just begged to get Timbaland offbrand yellow boots and overalls, but baby, this body ain't made for overalls. One of two fads I actively cringe while remembering. Don't buy into the hypes kids, it just isn't worth it.
Book no. 14/52 ... probably going to be Sh*t My Dad Says .
No comments:
Post a Comment