Goal 74--Do something I'm afraid of

With Ian working 11 days in a row (approx. 10 hrs a day), to cover Clinton's trip to Iceland and Aaron's trip to his home state of NY, I'm on my own to get our groceries this week.

(Just as an aside, no more summer vacations for the mechanics at the bike shop... I know it's the traditional time to take a vacation, but c'mon we're a bike shop...the summer is havoc and busy and chaos and when we make all the money that will see us through the dead winter. When someone takes a vacation it requires the other four or in this case three mechanics to work extra days which means they end up extra exhausted.)


On normal Wednesdays Ian and I would wake up late, drink coffee, lounge around in his office while he plays games or checks email, or searches craigslist...until I get my pad of paper to start the week's grocery list. Then it's mostly me making the list with intermittent comments from Ian who is still searching craigslist and checking email. Eventually I say "Hey! Listen to me! Just turn around for five minutes and this will go a lot faster" and Ian saying "huh? But I am paying attention!"

Somewhere between making the list and leaving the house we have to clean out the fridge. Although it's usually Ian's gracious chore to take care of the turned veggies and left overs, since I'm solo this week, I got to do that too. Might I just throw in here that we didnt' go grocery shopping last week because of my trip to Michigan and when I got home on Monday night we both commented on the VILE smell emanating from the kitchen a la the fridge area.
Ian said "I took the trash out yesterday thinking it was that" and I said "No, I think it's in the opaque Yelp bag, which I know was a bad idea..."
"Yeah, why did you put something in the fridge in an OPAQUE bag?"
"Um, I think... um, laziness?"
"What was that even from?"
"The thai beef salad?"
and then there was a mutual silent uh-oh as we tried to remember how long ago we had that. We're talking on towards a month. I know! I know! Disgusting!

Also let me mention in here that amidst all my eco-conscious practices, sometimes there is a plastic tupperware full of something just so disgusting you don't even feel bad throwing the whole thing away. If only, IF ONLY, that were an option. Why wasn't it an option? Because in my eco-conscious practices (and after seeing how pretty they are when Paola would bring them to work) I bought a complete set of glass Pyrex with lids. And it was in the small rectangle Pyrex that what used to be a thai beef salad had sat for weeks. You can't just throw away your Pyrex!

So today, I get to cross off 074:Do something I'm afraid of because got the garbage bag ready on the deck, kept the sliding door open for the dash and then took a deep breath (and held it), opened the fridge, took out the opaque yelp bag, removed my pyrex, dashed to the deck and dumped what used to be a really delicious meal, but had turned into a slimy mess of rot, into the trash bag. I gagged, oh did I gag as I had to go back into the house and get a spoon to scrape the sticky bits into the bag and then rinse out my prized pyrex. Gag. gag. cough. gag. close the trash bag. But not after I took a picture! Look look at the gross mess! It's like when someone tastes something and says "blegh! gross! try this!" So stop reading here if you just ate or have a week stomach.

A bonus anecdote: As I took the trash bag to the apartment door to take it down to the dumpster imagine my horror as I felt something drip onto my foot, and then onto my pant leg. uhhh. I was ready to throw up. Then I looked down and never thought I'd be so relieved to see splatters of the papa john's garlic butter sauce all over my pant leg from the pizza boxes I was also carrying.

Now I need to:
change so I don't get sick stomach from the smell of garlic butter
make the list so I don't wander aimlessly around the grocery store
and go to the food store so we won't eat out every night this week because of lack thereof.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment